Veneers, also known as laminate veneers are thin (0.5mm) shells made of porcelain or resin composite materials fitted over an individual’s natural teeth. They are used to cover up flaws such as stains, cracks, worn enamel and uneven teeth.
Veneers can be functional or aesthetic but are often a combination of both. If you have always wanted that perfect smile, veneers are a minimally invasive and very effective way of achieving fantastic results.
Dental veneers are a popular cosmetic dentistry treatment because they give you subtle or drastic results. You can choose to get a single veneer or an entire row.
They are relatively strong and last 10-20 years if well taken care of. Unlike dental implants or dental crowns which are more invasive treatments, veneers do not change your existing teeth to the same degree. One of the main advantages of veneers is the protection they provide your original teeth from being damaged any further.
The cost of veneers can vary widely from place to place. The number of veneers you need, the dentist and clinic fees and the type of veneer you choose are all factors that contribute to the final cost. Many patients are realizing that the cost of dentistry in Mexico is significantly cheaper than what they would pay in their own country. Increasingly, individuals are choosing to travel for dental treatment abroad. Also a progressively attractive option for many European dental patients is dentists in Turkey, renowned for their professional and artistic skills in cosmetic dentistry. Low cost of dental veneers in Malta has also lured many travelers, not just for dental veneers, but also dental implants and dental crowns treatments.
Do you have stained or discolored teeth that have been resistant to teeth whitening? Do you have chipped or cracked teeth where enamel has worn away over time? Do you have spaces between your teeth or misaligned teeth that give you a crooked smile? If the answer to these questions is yes, then you might be a good candidate for dental veneers.
The first thing you need to do is book an appointment with a dentist to further discuss what you would like to change about your teeth. It is vitally important for your dentist to know exactly what you expect from the treatment. You should have realistic expectations of this treatment. Veneers can fix many things that can ultimately make you unhappy, but if you need more extensive work the dentist may discuss dental implants or dental crowns with you.
A good candidate for dental veneers will be committed to practicing good oral hygiene. Veneers need to be taken care to ensure they last. Your teeth and gums need to be kept healthy so no further complications arise.
Veneers are a permanent solution and this is something that needs to be accepted by a potential patient. Some individuals have very small teeth and the gaps between their teeth cannot be closed by traditional orthodontics. Veneers are a good solution in this case because they can quickly and effectively close up these gaps.
Older patients whose teeth have been worn away over time make good candidates for veneers. They may have jagged edges or their teeth may be smaller than they were in the past. Veneers can easily correct these flaws and give them a healthy, youthful looking smile.
Multiple veneers can make your teeth look amazing by giving them a uniform color, shape and symmetry. Your teeth will look straighter, whiter and more even. Teeth are naturally worn away over time but veneers can protect your teeth from further damage simply by covering and protecting them.
There are two main types of dental veneers: porcelain and composite. Each have a unique set of advantages and disadvantages that need to be carefully considered before making a decision. An alternative to the traditional dental veneers are similar products, such as lumineers.
These are more advanced forms of veneer that may be more appropriate for some patients. When you visit your dentist he will ensure that you are a good candidate for dental veneers and explain the difference between the types available.
All dental veneers are custom made to fit you perfectly. This minimizes the dental veneer risks and side effects. It is worth researching the types of dental veneers available to help you make an informed choice.
Veneers are a fantastic way to get that smile you have always wanted and they are not as invasive as other cosmetic dentistry procedures.
· Thin, glass like strips of porcelain are employed to correct flaws in teeth
· The most popular type of dental veneer used today
· Porcelain veneers are very strong and quite resistant to chipping
· Porcelain veneers will not experience tooth decay
· The cost of porcelain veneers is more expensive than the cost of composite resin veneers
· Original tooth needs to be shaved a fraction to fit porcelain veneers
· Porcelain veneers can last 10-15 years if well looked after
· Look most like your original teeth, light is reflected more naturally
· This type of dental veneer is resistant to staining, even from substances that normally discolor teeth
· Porcelain veneers cannot be repaired but need to be replaced
· This type of dental veneer can be created when you go to the dentist so you don’t have to wait for custom made porcelain ones to be created in a dental laboratory. Only one visit is required.
· Composite veneers are made out of engineered resin or reinforced plastic
· This type of dental veneer is quite porous which means that it stains more easily and absorbs water
· Less tooth reduction is required when bonding the dental veneers to your teeth
· Composite veneers need to be highly polished so they look natural
· The composite dental veneer procedure takes less time than the porcelain veneer procedure
· Not as expensive as porcelain veneers, this is a major advantage
· Last 4-8 years but require a significant amount of maintenance