Mitral Valve Repair
The clinics providing Mitral Valve Repair are listed below. Contact them today to get a quote, make an appointment or have an online consultation.
The Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery Department of the Memorial Hospital is at the patients’ service with its internationally renowned specialists teams.
- Languages: English, Turkish, Arabic, Bulgarian, Albanian, Kurdish, Dutch
- Additional Services: Airport pick-up, Local Accommodation Assistance
Acibadem has signed a cooperation agreement with Harvard Medical International which is a world famous institution in terms of medical education and services.
- Languages: Turkish, English
- Additional Services: Airport Transfers, Hotel to Clinic Transfers, Hotel Reservations, Local Accommodation Assistance
The departments for Interventional Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery combine professional expertise in Angiography, Radiology and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Languages: English, Turkish
- Additional Services: Free airport transfer, Translator, Local Accommodation Assistance
What is Mitral Valve Repair?
Valve Replacement or Repair is used to repair or replace diseased the four valves in your heart: Aortic valve, Mitral valve, Tricuspid valve, and Pulmonary valve.
Theses valves control the direction of blood flow through your heart. The opening and closing of theses heart valves produce the sound of heartbeat.
A Good Candidate for Mitral Valve Repair
Heart valve surgery can be recommended for those with the following conditions:
· Narrowing of the heart valve (stenosis)
· Leaking of the heart valve (regurgitation)
Valve problems may be caused by the following:
· Birth defects
· Calcium deposits (calcification)
· Infections such as rheumatic fever
Some defective heart valves can cause congestive heart failure and infections (infective endocarditis).
Risks and Side Effects of Mitral Valve Repair
Risks associated with anesthesia include trouble breathing, adverse reactions to the medications, bleeding and infection.
Risks for any cardiac surgery include death, heart attack, irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) and stroke.
Heart Valve Surgery
Heart valve surgery is open-heart surgery that is executed under general anesthesia. A cut is made through the breast bone (sternum) and the blood is routed away from the heart to a heart-lung bypass machine. The heart-lung bypass machine keeps the blood circulating while the heart is being operated on.
Valves may be repaired or replaced. Replacement heart valves are either natural or artificial:
· Natural valves are from human donors
· Modified natural valves come from animal donors
· Artificial valves are made of metal
For those who receive an artificial valve, medications to prevent blood clots may be required for a lifetime. Natural valves rarely require lifelong medication.
Recovery from Mitral Valve Repair
Patients will stay in an intensive care unit (ICU) for the first 2-3 days following the operation and heart functions will be monitored continuously. The average hospital stay is 1-2 weeks. Complete recovery can take up to several months, depending on your health prior to surgery.
Results of Mitral Valve Repair
Success rates for heart valve surgery are high. This operation can relieve many symptoms and prolong your life. The clicking of the mechanical heart valve may be heard in the chest. This is normal.