The clinics providing Hip Resurfacing are listed below. Contact them today to get a quote, make an appointment or have an online consultation.
Oscar Mendoza orthopedic clinic is one of most established physiotherapy treatment facilities in Guadalajara providing high standards of medical care and advanced technology which earned renowned acclaim in Mexico and North America.
- Languages: Spanish, English
- Additional Services: Airport Transfers, Translator Services
VITA was established in 1991 and was registered as the first private health institution in Sofia on April 1,1992. Since then, more than 300,000 people have obtained our elite medical assistance.
- Languages: English, Russian, Bulgarian
- Additional Services: Local Accommodation Assistance, Hotel to Clinic Transfers, Translator Services
Acibadem has signed a cooperation agreement with Harvard Medical International which is a world famous institution in terms of medical education and services.
- Testimonial: " Dr. Halker is a great knee specialist! I am only in Turkey every so often, but every time I have a problem I go to Acibdem. " Jesse
- Languages: Turkish, English
- Additional Services: Assistance in hotel bookings and airport transfers.
In the Orthopedics Department, modern diagnosis techniques and state-of-the-art treatment choices are provided for the whole muscular and skeletal system, and for spinal diseases and traumas.
- Testimonial: " ...the correct choice and would suggest that any persons requiring any of their available treatments should seriously consider them as an option. " Vincent D. Marshall
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Albanian, Macedonian, Kurdish, Dutch
- Additional Services: Airport Transfers, Local Accommodation Assistance, Translator Services
- Language: English, Spanish
- Additional Services: Local Accommodation Assistance, Translator Services
- Language: English, German, Turkish, French
- Additional Services: Airport Pick-up
- Language: Greek, English, Scandinavian, Russian, Czech
- Testimonial: " Everybody here has been super. " Karon Kennedy
- Language: English
- Additional Services: Airport transfer, visa assistance, flight arrangements, special dietary needs or religious requirements, local sightseeing
- Testimonial: " I wish to place my sincere thanks for the excellent service provided to my mom. " Ashish, Abu Dhabi
- Language: English
- Additional Services: Airport transfers, international patient concierge, arranged tours and activities
What is Hip Resurfacing?
The hip resurfacing procedure involves surgically replacing the arthritic surface of the hip joint with metal-on-metal parts. The purpose of the operation is to stop the bones from rubbing against each other, which causes chronic pain in patients with severe hip damage. Hip resurfacing is considered an alternative to hip replacement.
In a hip replacement surgery, the entire femoral head is replaced, whereas in a hip resurfacing operation, the femoral head is preserved and only the surface is replaced. Some orthopedic specialists have suggested that this bone preservation makes hip resurfacing a superior treatment to hip replacement, especially in more active, younger patients.
A Good Candidate for Hip Resurfacing
Good candidates for hip resurfacing surgery can include patients suffering from hip pain under the age of 60.
Hip Resurfacing Procedure
During the hip resurfacing operation, an incision is made over the hipbone and the thigh muscle is divided. The damaged parts of the hip joint are resurfaced, and a metal cap is attached to the ball of the thighbone. A new metal surface is applied to the pelvis. The metal-on-metal allows for a smooth mobility of the new joint, and eliminates the pain.
Average Duration of Surgery: 2-3 hours
Risks and Side Effects of Hip Resurfacing
Hip resurfacing surgery risks and side effects can include pain in the hip joint for several weeks and patients may experience some temporary pain and swelling in the knee and ankle.
Recovery from Hip Resurfacing
When recovering from hip resurfacing, patients are encouraged to begin rehabilitation as early as possible with the help of a physiotherapist. This early activity and mobility helps prevent Deep Vein Thrombosis and other complications from developing. Typically patients can leave the hospital 3-4 days after the hip resurfacing operation and must continue physiotherapy for several weeks.
Results of Hip Resurfacing
If you pass through metal detectors at security locations, the metal properties of the prosthesis will likely set off the alarm. Many hospitals issue cards or letters that you can show to the authorities. Consult your doctor for more information.